If you are looking for an extraordinary experience during your vacation in Trapani, you are in the right place!
In this article, we will take you on a fascinating tour of the Trapani-Paceco Salt Pans, one of the naturalistic and must-see locations in the Sicilian region.
The Trapani and Paceco Salt Pans Nature Reserve, carefully managed by WWF since 1995, is important not only from a historical point of view, but also from a wildlife point of view. In fact, it represents one of the main wetlands in the Sicilian region that is home to more than 200 species of birds.
Flamingos, white herons and kingfishers are just some of the fascinating creatures you might spot.
What to see at the salt pans
Here is what you absolutely cannot miss during your visit:
- Maria Stella Mill and the Saline Tanks: at this unique location, you can book exciting guided tours that offer an in-depth experience on ancient salt extraction and processing techniques. The salt pans, still in full operation, feature tanks of different sizes and depths, visitors will have the opportunity to admire the extraction process up close, discovering the secrets passed down from generation to generation.
- The Salt Mill Trail: this is a unique opportunity for the more adventurous. During this pleasant walk, you will have the opportunity to get a close look at the “schifazzo“, an ancient sailing boat characteristic of the Sicilian region.
- Salt Museum: this is a must-see. Here you can discover the history of salt mining in the region, explore the ancient tools used and understand their crucial role.
- Birdwatching and photography: don’t forget your camera to capture the vibrant colors of the environment, especially during sunrise or sunset.
- The Pink Salt Flats: these are distinguished by their unique hue ranging from soft pink to deep purple. This natural phenomenon is the result of the presence of microorganisms, algae and crustaceans that give these pools a spectacular hue. The visual effect is stunning!
To visit the Trapani Salt Pans, you have two interesting options. If you love being independent, rent a car and head to Trapani.
For a richer experience, opt for a guided tour with Sicilying. During your excursion, you’ll have the opportunity to explore Trapani, visit the Salt Pans and even the Salt Museum, all without worrying about travel.
Book your exciting excursion to the Salt Pans of Trapani and Paceco with Sicilying now!