We are located halfway between Messina and Catania, in one of the most fascinating places in Sicily: Taormina. This charming town offers a unique mix of natural beauty, archaeological evidence and a vibrant atmosphere.
In this article, we will take you on a journey through the history of Sicily, exploring Taormina and its surroundings. In addition, we will present five must-do activities to do during your visit to make your stay unforgettable.
Sicily has been a crossroads of civilizations and cultures over the centuries, and Taormina is one of the cities that still retains traces of this rich past.
A must-see is the Ancient Theater of Taormina, an ancient Greco-Roman amphitheater located in a wonderful vantage point, from which the mass of Mount Etna and the Ionian Sea can be admired, represents the most important and best-preserved ancient monument in Taormina.
On some of the steps is engraved the name of Philistides, the wife of Hieron II, the tyrant of Syracuse. It was he, probably in the 3rd century B.C., who had the theater built.
As you stroll through the streets of the historic center, you will also discover the ancient Messina Gate, which once marked the main entrance to the city.
Below we list 5 must-do activities in Taormina to enjoy an unforgettable experience of history, nature and culinary delights:
- Explore the enchanting Villa Comunale Public Garden: This charming public park offers a rejuvenating break from the hustle and bustle of the city. Relax among exotic plants, ancient trees and colorful flowers. Stroll along the paths or find a quiet corner to read a book. The gardens also offer magnificent panoramic views of the coast and Mount Etna, making the experience even more magical.
- Explore the Corvaja Palace: This historic building, with its Arab, Norman and Gothic influences, is a must for architecture lovers. It also houses the Museum of Popular Art and Traditions, where you can discover the culture and traditions of the region.
- Spend a relaxing day at Isola Bella: This beautiful nature reserve, located just outside Taormina, can be reached via a footbridge. Enjoy sunbathing on the pebble beach, snorkel in the crystal clear waters, or explore the island’s rich biodiversity.
- Climb up to Saracen Castle: Situated on top of Mount Tauro, Saracen Castle offers spectacular panoramic views of the coast and surrounding mountains. It is a great place to take a scenic walk or simply enjoy the breathtaking views.
- Enjoy the local cuisine: Taormina boasts a delicious culinary tradition. Take advantage of the many restaurants and cafes to enjoy Sicilian specialties, such as pasta alla Norma, arancino, granita, and cannolo. Don’t forget to accompany it all with a glass of world-famous Sicilian wine.
By choosing from these activities, you can immerse yourself in Taormina’s fascinating history and the splendor of its nature, savor the rich Sicilian culture, and create unforgettable memories during your visit.
Looking for the right experience? Many of our proposals are waiting for you for an unforgettable stay!